Friday, January 25, 2013

Apollo Missions

Ever since I was little, I have always been fascinated by astronomy. The stars, the moon, and the planets just intrigued me. I even participated in Science Olympiad so I could do the astronomy event (I got second place twice). Something about things being millions or even billions miles away was just mind blowing. What is even cooler is that God knows all the stars by name (Psalm 147:4).

             When I was young, I wanted to be an astronaut. I thought that would be the coolest job. I thought to be able to leave the atmosphere and see Earth below you would be awesome. Every time NASA launched the Shuttle, I had to watch it.
Well, I didn’t become an astronaut but I think I have an even cooler job, being a mom. Neverless, I still enjoy watching anything on space travel. So the other day my youngest son and I were watching a documentary on the Apollo Missions. It was impressive that men were able to get there. I mean the the science involved to make it to the moon and keep the astronauts safe. The bravery of the men who dare take on the challenge. It was amazing.
             
            Apollo missions had its good moments and sad moments. While training for the Apollo 1 mission, there was a electrical short in the capsule and all three astronauts lost their lives. It was a reminder to NASA that this was an endeavor with risks. So they redesign the capsule and started with the other missions. Apollo mission 2-7 were going great so for Apollo 8 it was time to go around the moon. So off they went to the moon. It took four days to get there. On the fourth day, it was time to go around the moon. As the astronauts were going around the darkside of the moon, they saw an earthrise. With all their technology and bravery, do you know what the did when they saw the Earth? The three astronauts took turn reading Genesis 1:1-10. On the Apollo 11, Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin took communion on the moon. Another mission you can see God at work is Apollo 13. It seemed everything was going wrong on that mission. It was called a successful failure. They didn’t land on the moon but they came home (If you want to see more on that story, the movie Apollo 13 with Tom Hanks is a great one to watch. ) 
             
             As I look up to the night sky, I wonder if we'll be back there or travel beyond it. All I can say is as I look up to the stars, I reflect on how small Earth is to the universe. However, I also think how awesome it is that God created this world for us and how much we mean to Him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment